Exlevel has released GrowFX 2.0, the latest version of the respected parametric tree and plant modelling plugin for 3DS Max.
Version 2 has been in beta for a while as it was a major rewrite of the plugin with a complete overhaul of its UI to a new, much more modern node-based editor. Version 1’s UI was perhaps its biggest weakness, making it difficult to visualise the connections and influences between different parameters, so for many users, this is a welcome improvement.
As well as the new UI and workflow, several new nodes have been added as follows:
- A Public Parameter node can be used to create an animated parameter, as well as to display the parameter on the main GrowFX panel.
- A Math node performs some math operations, can be used instead of the Affect node.
- A Random Generator node allows the user to generate random values for any parameters.
- A Switch node redirects the computing process between various branches of the node graph depending on the input value.
- An Attribute Position node and Attribute Distance node can be used to get some attributes, and then passing them to the Affect or Math node, for further influence on other parameters.
- A Value node allows you to set some value. It can be useful to connect this node to several parameters in order to control their values.
- Finally, the random generation algorithm has been completely redesigned. Therefore, plants may differ after conversion from the previous version.
Perpetual licensing is retained at a cost of $325. For users that purchased GrowFX 1.x, this release also marks the introduction of an annual maintenance plan for access to future updates. To find out more about GrowFX, visit the Exlevel website.