After changing the location of Bitmap files, the error “Missing Map Files” may appear in 3ds Max.
Changing or replacing a bitmap location can cause the Missing Map error when the machine’s name, folder, or directory structure of the new bitmap location is different from the old Bitmap location.
This happens because some or all of the materials in the .MAX scene have textures applied to them which are pointing to invalid bitmap paths.
To fix this error, do the following:
Use the Asset Tracking Tool
The following steps redirect the bitmap’s path:
- Load the .MAX scene file.
- Select ‘Continue’ to get through the “Missing Map Files” dialog.
- Once the file is open in 3ds Max, go to the main menu on the top left of the window.
- Navigate to “References,” then “Asset Tracking.”
- Right-click the full path and either:
- Set Path.
- Remove Missing Asset.
- Strip Path.
Download the Relink Bitmap Plugin
Download and test the Relink Bitmap Plugin from the Autodesk App store, made by Colin Senner.
- Collada .DAE Files Appear Transparent When Imported Into 3ds Max
- Slow Interface Or Viewport In 3ds Max
- Super Renders Farm – Powerful and Smart cloud render farm.